Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Has your property been affected by water damage?
Don't worry, it can happen to absolutely anyone and often to no fault of their own. We at SERVPRO of Calgary South take your safety very seriously and want you to be prepared in case you ever find yourself in this situation. The first step is we need to stop any more water from entering the house. It helps to be familiar with where your water shutoff valve is and if you do not know, call a plumber ASAP. If it is safe to stay in the property make sure you avoid any areas that may be hazardous, this may include slippery surfaces or exposed electrical. Do not attempt to lift any wet material as it will have absorbed water and can become extremely heavy. SERVPRO of Calgary South is available 24/7, 365 days a year. If you have a water loss, please do not hesitate to call.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (403) 255-0202
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove coloured rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other coloured items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.