Keep Your Home Safe This Winter: Cold Weather Housekeeping Tips
Keep Your Home Safe!
Since the severe weather has made an appearance (and doesn't seem to be going anywhere) across the country, it's only right if we give you Awesome Tips on keeping your home and business safe!
Tips for Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or un-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off".
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Remove any attachments (hoses or sprinklers) from outdoor faucets, water can build up behind the attachment and freeze
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puff backs.
If you follow these tips, especially on those extreme cold days, your home will stand a better chance against the cruel and cold winter weather.