Water Damage in a Nutshell
Preventing water damage will save you many headaches and is easier than dealing with the cleanup and repairs. We do not like to think about it, but water damage can cause severe damage to your property. It weakens the foundation and the very core that holds your property together.
You have heard about core strength in your body. Well, water damage hits at the core strength of your house, eventually causing severe structural damage. Damp wood invites termites and carpenter ants; plus, it causes mould and mildew.
Here are 3 easy prevention tips
These tips are easy things to do that will give you piece of mind the next time heavy storms hit.
- Ensure Good Drainage
Poor drainage weakens your foundation, causing cracks, uneven settling, and pathways for water to enter your home.
- Clean your gutters routinely. A clogged gutter and drains will send cascades of water down the side of your house, damaging your siding and foundation.
- Ensure your downspouts direct water 5 to 10 feet away from your house.
- Make sure your yard is sloped at least 6 inches over a 10-foot span away from your foundation.
- Check for Water Leaks
Persistent leaks lead to mould, mildew, rot, and even termites and carpenter ants (they like chewing wet wood, since it is soft).
- Check for dark spots under pipes inside sink cabinets, stains on ceilings, toilets that rock, and of course drips.
- At least once a year, inspect your roof. Repair any missing, loose, and or damaged shingles.
- Repair any cracked caulking and check for leaks around flashing.
- Know what to do should water damage occur
Water damage is all about action. Acting fast will save you time and unnecessary costs. Contact SERVPRO experts immediately will help our team to restore rather than replace. What you can do until SERVPRO arrives
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place & gather loose items from floors.
- Remove coloured rugs and upholstery from wet carpeting to prevent stains.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging. More tips here: http://www.SERVPROcalgarysouthab.com/water-damage-tips
SERVPRO Alberta Emergency Contacts
Calgary: 403.255.0202 | Edmonton: 780.784.7777